ESN stands for electronic serial number. It is the unique identifier for mobile devices. The more technical references for ESN numbers are IMEI or MEID. If a device has a bad esn, it means it has a bad electronic serial number, rendering it useless.
Check IMEI Number
What does it mean to have a Bad Esn phone?
- You will not be able to activate or transfer your cellphone plan to your device
- You cannot unlock it and use it for a different carrier
- Purchasing these devices can be nearly impossible to return
- Carrier will require the original owner of the phone to get the device out of delinquent status
How does a phone become a Bad Esn?
- Phone Reported Lost or Stolen
- Outstanding, Delinquent or Past due balance on account
- Unpaid Early Termination Fee
- Failure to fulfill contract terms
- Unpaid balance to insurance company
- Sold while still on contract
- Behind on phone bill